08-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #17
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Whenever I read about people raving about how much better the car feels after a throttle body reset, I always wonder how much of it is placebo.

If I had to guess, it's probably 75% placebo.
When I used to do them - absolutely not placebo. It's not subtle - at all. I find that, for me, it affected transmission behaviour a lot. Better shifts and the car just moves.

On the other hand, there is no way it's a throttle body reset. The N55 is Valvetronic - there is no throttle body. (Well, technically, there is a throttle body that comes into play as a safety net if Valvetronic is inoperative. When the engine is operating normally that butterfly valve is wide open.)

I have yet to see anywhere that DEFINITIVELY tells us what is being reset by that action. I'd love links to real, reliable info. As I mentioned in an earlier post - I've used MHD to reset a laundry list of adaptations and none of them include whatever this is.

All that said, since MHD w/ linear throttle and xHP I never need to do this anymore. I should go out and see if I even notice a difference now. I think it's possible that it isn't actually "throttle body" adaptation, but it might be "throttle mapping" adaptation - tweaking the algorithm/map/table which lies between the physical pedal and the torque demand parameter input to the DME. I find it entertaining that it's supposed to adapt the car to be better matched to individual drivers but everyone hates it
Appreciate 0