06-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #308
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I don't think VER was going for FL.
If you look at the racepace, both before and after the safetycar, VER gained a ~6sec lead quite fast and easily and after that kept that gap, indicating that he adjusted his racepace to PER pace.
That both VER and HAM got taking turns at FL is just the increase of the racepace due to the cars getting lighter, but VER kept his lead fairly constant, indicating that he was sparing tyres and the car.

And with still 6 laps to go you can't slow down 1sec/lap if you have a ~6sec lead.
You need that 6 sec if you for example miss a brakepoint for a turn and miss the racing line, picking up debris on your tyres. (at the moment of the crash, I timed the gap between VER and PER at about 5 sec.)
Except for everytime HAM or someone else reset fastest lap, he responded almost every time on the next lap to get it back.

I'm not saying it was his fault, but I was surprised they were pushing so hard not knowing what happened with STR and with Pirelli's previous issues with this problem.

I was somewhat surprised none of the leaders came in to change tires during the SC. But, I get it, track position is king, unfortunately for RB and VER they lost that gamble.
Appreciate 1
yco5765.50