View Single Post
      10-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
E61_xdrive
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1996 325, 2010 535i x wagon

What is the best way to inspect N54/N55 engine for pre-sale inspection?

I've taken 4 cars for pre-sale inspection to dealers & 3 times I caught 2-3 fairly major things on the car when I put it on a lift at a general mechanic's shop in my town (he does very basic repairs, inspections & classic car work - like 1940 to late 1950's). If I could spot these in 5-6 mins up in the air, IDK what I was charged $275 for a 1 hour lift inspection & 15 min drive... They all said the cars were in "perfect" shape for their age/mileage (most were 2014-2016 with 60-110K miles - clean car fax..

so I'm worried about the turbo(s), and VANOS on these & the tranny. Is there anything else I need to look out for and SPECIFICALLY test for? like blown head gaskets? Can I tell if someone had the boost up to 25PSI for short runs and damaged anything (not catastrophic - but enough to start leaking oil, or coolant into the turbo/intake or some other shitty thing?

I'm pretty skilled for what I do - I work on whatever I can and have a broad range of experience (mainly on Audi's & VW's though) over 20 years of my cars & friends (many had BMW's though - usually I6 of V8's.... I'm not scared to get my hands dirty and I have a couple shops (long time associates/friends) I can use the lift & have a couple set of professionals look over the car with me (for a case or 2 of beer hopefully).. hey are just not BMW experts...

Well at least I tried it the "right way" the first 7 times (3 others were @ Audi dealerships when I was looking at S6's,. SQ5's & RS6's of 2003/4).
Appreciate 0