View Single Post
      10-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
mbworldz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I have the same feeling too, how could all 4 actuators mailfunction at the same time. In fact, that morning I drove to a close by ATM and came home. Later on at lunch when I head out, I can't open the door.

I climbed inside the car and check the fuse box from the passenger side, oh boy, that spot is tight , I got no room to check the top fuses. I got to see a few only.

The noise is coming from the trunk , close by the fuse box. That's where I find the loudest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I think one of Chinorm's points is that there isn't ONE actuator, there is one in every door, and what you've stated is that "suddenly" NO doors unlock. The probability that ALL FOUR of your actuators failed at the same instant is pretty much zero.

Have you tried to locate the 'whining'? It may be completely unrelated to the doors - fuel door, fuel pump, Valvetronic motor sweeping when the unlock button is pressed etc...

You say you've tried the mechanical key - have you turned it far enough? Again, it's possible that some kind of driver's door latch failure could interfere with both electric and mechanical operation of the locking mechanism you would not have lost ALL FOUR DOORS because of that. The mechanical key first triggers a switch to operate the power doors, then when you turn it farther it uses a mechanical linkage that would work when the battery is dead (but often it has never been used since the car was built and it's sticky)

Personally, I recommend that every owner familiarize themselves with how the mechanical override key works and feels before they absolutely require it. You can also determine if it needs lubrication that way.

Are you positive the battery is in good shape? Checked the fuses in the trunk?
Appreciate 0