01-21-2024, 06:06 PM   #1
CreativeOne
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 530xd & 535d

Question 530xd - Weird xdrive malfunction

Hey everyone!

Car is 2013 F11 530xd.

Before I start I want to say that I have searched a lot for the issue that I am having, and I have found one exact topic with the same error codes in some forum, but the guy who had the issues did not tell if and how he fixed it

The issue - xdrive is not working. No lights on the dash, no nothing, just when I have wheelspin for more than a second or two the traction control error message pops up, for which you have to wait like 5 seconds and then it disappears and you can drive like you did before. And it drives in RWD basically.
There is no jerky drive when turning or in slow speeds, nothing weird, you could not tell that something is not working if not trying to lose traction.

I have changed the Transfer Case oil. Twice. One 400ml change, then after a small drive again another 400ml (as without taking the transfer case off, one can only get around 400ml out, just FYI for some)
Today I even removed the actuator, which I hoped was with gears, but is an electromagnet - as I hoped it was something similar with the older models, where the gear would just wear out - but no gears here. I can add a picture too if someone wants to see how it looks.
I have also checked wheel speed sensors and their directions - all show accurate speed and direction.

I have connected LAUNCH to see what hidden error codes are stored, and I found out these:
449192 Transfer box (VTG): Oil Wear (cant remove, probably need ISTA, thought that re-calibration would help, but didnt, I guess it self-learning)
440117 Transfer Box (VTG): All-Wheel Drive Transfer Box Temporarily Shut Down - Clutch Protection
48068C Transfer Box: Temporary Fault, Temperature

And thats it.
Last year it worked great. I have nice winters where I live, and I really enjoyed xdrive, at least while it lasted.
So yeah - It did work a year ago and during the whole winter I had it - had it since start of January last year. Was driving till end of spring, when I just switched to my motorcycle and on rare occasion - the other car I have.
Restarted driving at the end of summer, when I also first noticed that something was off - I could lose traction on asphalt, with an AWD vehicle - of course, just rear, but not so that I could get an error, because it regained traction fast enough. I couldnt even do that on a straight road with my 535d (sadly stolen from me) which had only RWD.
Then in autumn, when driving on some mud in the countryside, noticed that it actually is just the rear end doing all the work.

If anyone has any idea, please do tell, as I am lost.
Right now I would think it could be the transfer case clutch, but I would expect an error in that case.
I can also freely turn the front prop shaft with my hands when all wheels are on ground (I have a spot where I can do that, but didnt try 360 degree turn)

EDIT: While writing the last sentence I had a wild thought - no way it could be a Front diff issue? I would still expect noise coming from it or something then..

Last edited by CreativeOne; 01-21-2024 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: New idea
Appreciate 0