03-07-2024, 08:35 AM   #394
formerE36M3/4/5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GTS Cab (the fun car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
edited....
Anyway, to make a long story short, I like the current uniform situation, although I'm a long way from the Navy and don't see them except in photos these days. I also applaud the move to unisex uniforms: I see that females are wearing "crackerjack" blues and whites these days and female officers are wearing the same hats as males. Good!

Before the Navy, I was in the Marine Corps Platoon Leader Candidate program and had a week of training left when I quit the program, as I knew I could not get the Chinese language training I wanted as a Marine officer. The Marines have more or less remained steadfast in wearing the best-looking uniform of all the services. I've read that the initial issue of uniforms for Marines is the most expensive by far of all the services and the reason is the dress blue uniform. Attempts by the budget-cutters to eliminate the issue of dress blues to new Privates have been stoutly resisted by the Marines; the Marine Corps dress blue uniform is apparently a major factor in getting recruits to join up.

P.S. It's hard to find decent photos of Navy & Marine uniforms online...,
I agree 100% the Marines have the sharpest uniforms, by far!

I was in '77 - '83 when we had a mixed bag of uniforms, Crackerjacks, Salt & Peppers, dungarees.... Rumor had it the Salt & Peppers were designed by some Admiral's wife because she thought the CJ's were too childish, no idea if there's any truth to that.

I too like the newer uniforms, especially the "working" uniforms.
Assorted Porsche's over the last 20+ years
Appreciate 1
Llarry20283.50