View Single Post
      04-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #128
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Can you pls let me know whether your principal dealer mention the driving/handling difference between the F10 having the VDC option 223 (which can tighten the chassis without the anti-roll bars), and adaptive drive option 2VA (ie with the anti-roll bars in addition)? I suppose the only difference is that VDC on sport mode will tighten the chassis causing it to roll less, but with the anti-roll bars, it will roll even less?

Did he mention the difference between having M sport suspension, and VDC pls? The difference between M sport suspension and adaptive drive option 2VA? If I’m correct, either the VDC (on sport mode) or M sport suspension will tighten the chassis giving a firmer ride, but they both work differently, the former the dampener and the latter the spring. Both do not have anti-roll bars. Will VDC on sport mode give the F10 a firmer ride?
First, we didn't talk about M-sport suspension, as it is not yet available for the F10/11 in the UK, not even a sport suspension option. The electronic trickery is the way we get the current SE models to have a sport suspension. I'm assured it is a level up and won't be disappointed.

As to the ride, with Adaptive Drive, it should do everything we want. As both elements are continuously being monitored and adjusted, we will get the best of both worlds, comfort when it matters and sure footed composure when needed.

I know a guy who has an E65 7-series (750i) with the dynamic package and for large car it drives like a much smaller, 'well sorted' BMW. The roll bars only stiffen up when needed, so you don't get the negatives of sport type ARBs, when you want a settled drive. Same with the dampers, they stiffen up as you load them, whatever the setting. It is not a soggy mess in comfort mode, as you drive harder it all comes together.

I will be testing a car with Adaptive Drive, but may be a while, as there is nothing up here with the right spec' at the moment.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0