View Single Post
      04-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #129
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
And again I come to the conclusion : It's all about personal preferences and how you 'see' the 5 compared to the E or A6 or even a M3(like I do)

A carmag journalist has it's personal preferences AND a SE too. And I´m not the guy to believe their stories instantly. Driving is the only way.
For all of us.

Cheers
Robin
Absolutely, a test drive is what the journos are recommending as well, so that there will NOT be disappointment.

Personally, I've found the Autocar magazine to be pretty much on the money with BMW cars over the years. I've just dug out a couple of issues, one for the E39 528i when first tested.. with the headline "New 5-Series so close to perfect". Also for the E60 530d, didn't even get a headline. Their verdict...

Quote:
AutoCar Verdict E60 530d SE

And so Tuesday September 2 2003 might just hold the same significance as Wednesday April 17 1996, (E39 test report) but for different reasons. It will be remembered as the time when BMW first tried to apply its new methodology to a volume seller and standards slipped ever so slightly, it’s critical to remember that for all its obvious short-comings, the 530d still nearly climbs to the top of the class because its engine and gearbox are remarkable, and its build quality is the stuff of Mercedes envy. However, the chassis and, in particular, its lack of ride comfort are flawed. Much of this must be blamed on the run-flat tyres: fitted with these the 530d is an eight-star car, whereas on normal rubber it would be a nine-star car. Specifying your 5-series will be a tricky, and critical exercise.
Both the reviews, E39 and E60 have proved over time to be pretty well spot on, when you read the full test reports.

With the current F10, I have to say I'm very much of the same view as AutoCar and WhatCar, thus far, from my test drives against reading their test comments (after) driving the cars. The standard steering is not good enough for average UK roads and the road is coming back through into the cabin, via the body and corrupted steering in a negative way. I've said it before, but still suspect the tyres are the real culprit here.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0