View Single Post
      08-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Active, passive or what?

There are no active components in the suspension, without opting for the active stabilisers and/or adjustable dampers. Why do we conclude there is another 'active' suspension system in the standard car once DDC is added?

I thought we had it clear DDC allows for throttle, steering and transmission configurations. NOT suspension settings.

As it happens I was out in my nephew's Mini Cooper this afternoon and it has a sport button to tighten the steering and throttle response. My nephew assures me it is a different car to drive with the sport button pressed, the steering feel completely transforms the whole car's dynamics, he says it is like driving a different car. But as a passenger there is no difference in feel to how the car sits, you can just tell the steering is more precise and responsive.

This is what I found in the 535i with 2TB fitted, the 'sport' steering weighting makes for a different feel to the car, it is more precise in positioning the car and feels as if it has much more poise on the road, particularly on the twisty stuff.

My dealer principal tried the 'chassis' settings within i-Drive and he was not concinced that it did anything to the car's chassis, whereas the normal to sport toggle, does change the car quite dramatically.

BTW, I did question whether there are any other features in the car which could be changing with the settings, BMW confirmed there are no other electronic bits, bushes, etc., which are active.

Personally I can't see BMW having any hidden/secret technology, which they are giving away for peanuts, we would be hearing about it from the roof tops, as the best thing since sliced bread.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0