View Single Post
      06-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
brenec@rpi.edu
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535i Xdrive

Steering Wheel vibration when hitting bumps - too much road feel?

Dear BMW drivers - I have a CPO 2016 535i xDrive M-trim and I've noted a couple of vibration "anomalies" in the few months I've owned it. I'm not sure how much of it is normal for this model of car, and how much it might be a problem. I transitioned from a 2014 Mercedes E350 (similar size), so my comparisons are based on that experience. First, I note that a lot more "road feel" seems to be coming through the steering wheel - rougher pavement means much more vibration and jolting of the wheel on small bumps (not that rough - just normal roads with patches), and much less on smooth (recently paved) roads. When going over any size bumps (particularly at highway speeds) there is a damped oscillation (kind of a brief shimmy) that is felt in the steering wheel that I've never experienced with another car, and I'm not sure whether this is normal or not either. I don't like it much. Even at lower speeds, it feels as if the steering wheel reacts in that manner on bumps, but just to a lower level. Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0