08-19-2022, 05:24 PM   #16
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Ok, I need your help then. I just recently got a pipe, fairly small bowl I'd say, and I cannot get it to stay lit. Is that normal? I'm talking about basically needing to relight each draw, assuming I give the pipe a break of a minute or two between draws.

If I try to emulate a chimney, it will stay lit (sometimes, sometimes not even that), but that's unpleasant.

I dribble the tobacco in to about the top, then tamp it with my fingers to about midway, take a bit of a draw (little resistance, kind of like a sucking through a straw sound I'd say), then dribble in to the top again and tamp in 3/4 ish, maybe a little more, and then fill to top again.

Then I do the false light / charring, let it go out, then light for real. I don't know what my problem is - is it how I'm packing it? Is it the bowl being small? Am I just an idiot maybe?

Tobacco doesn't feel wet, but I guess I could leave it out for 10-15 min next time...I just go from pouch to bowl right now.
I'm no expert as I have only been smoking a pipe for a few years. However here are some general things I have found in my case.

I prefer larger pipes, I have a fairly cheap Dr. Grabow that has a large bowl and I love it. I also have a fairly pricey (to me anyways) Savinelli that has a small bowl and I hate it. I think the larger bowls light better have better draw and in my limited experience are overall better.

I also use to be very careful on how I packed it with just enough pressure etc. I don't do any of that shit anymore. I just grab tobacco out of the bag and stuff it in there. I stuff it and push it with my finger stuff some more.

When I light it I just light it well the first time and take a few puffs make sure everything is good then I tamp it down and light it again. I find the tobacco and the environment have an effect on if it stays light or not. If I'm doing other stuff then I accept it will go out, happens to me with cigars also, if I don't tend to it in a long time they all go out.

That being said when I'm just sitting and smoking I try not to put it down that often. I leave it in my mouth and almost like take small puffs with the rhythm of my breath. Hard to describe. I will also occasionally blow out. When I do this I can pretty much keep it light and also not let it get too hot. There is a guy on YouTube that shows this technique and a lot of good videos on pipe smoking. His name is mutton chop piper and you should look him up on there. A lot more experienced than me and he goes full OCD on some stuff but good content in his old videos.
Appreciate 1