View Single Post
      11-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Op,

I live is PA and my experience has been you can not sell a car without doing a title transfer at AAA or license and tag place. Every car I did a private sale, I would take person to AAA and do the title transfer right there and be done with it. I think some people try not to do this since they are buying to fixup and resale. I had one person who did not want to go and transfer the title immediately and I would not do it so he walked away.

Give that, I also live in Calif and found out there was not requirement to immediate transfer a title in Calif, the buyer can do it at a later time. I always thought this was strange, then had good friend who sold a number of cars in Calif. He did the transaction in the driveway and handed over the title and let the person drive off with the car. One day the police showed up at his house asking him is he was the owner of the specific car, he said yes at one time but sold it. They asked when he sold it, it was years before. They asked for proof of a sale, he happen to have it, he had a copy of the check the person gave him along with cash, a copy of their license and the person's signature and phone number.

Turns out the guy who bought the car never transferred the title, turn around and sold the car to someone else. That person never transfer the title drove it around for years on a illegal title then used the car in a robbery and a high speed chance and got away. The police looked up the VIN and trace it back to my friend since he was the last owner. The police told him if we did not have all the documentation on the sale, they would have arrested him.

I would advise anyone doing a private sale of car, make sure the title get transfer, a car ending up in a impound lot is the least of your worries. BTW the impound lot could charge you for towing and storage fees since you are the last know registered owner.
Appreciate 0