06-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
I know that probably 90%+ of BMW owners do not do their own routine maintenance, so the dipstick issue is one that might not be of any concern, but I'm telling you- it is. The rule, rather than the exception is that your car will be overfilled from the dealer when they change it. They use bulk liquids with digital metering equipment. The equipment itself works fine, and "meters" volumes quite well. The issue is that if a car calls for 6 quarts with the filter at change, they will program 6 qts into the "oil gun" and be done with it. The problem is that most vehicles; I did not say all, but most vehicles-need less due to residual in the various engine cavities. You do not want an over-full situation, even slightly... That digital gauge that BMW now uses absolutely will not catch this occurrence. My 2008 Toyota Sequoia calls for 7.4 qts with the filter at change. If I put any more than 7 qts in it, it will be over filled. I have found that every person that works for me (who does his own changes) and has this engine in the Tundra has found the same. The folks that take their trucks to the dealer that I have talked to really don't have a clue what I'm talking about, as they are not of the type to know or care. I'm not trying to make disparaging remarks, I'm justing pointing out what I have seen through years of working on engines, and a father who worked for a major filter manufacturer for 34 years. Long rant, I know, but this ain't good...
I agree with you. My solution is to avoid the dealer for everything including the so called free maintenance (oil changes). If they don't have it they can't overfill it Once they start messing with your car it is all down hill from there - it's a new car, it's complicated, they are just guessing and practicing hit and miss on your car

Now I need to figure out how to replace the battery without taking the car in for a "reset". Let me add another annoyance to the list

Despite the glitch of the up and down fluctuating level my electronic "dipstick" works well. I've only had to add one quart so far and I did it after the add oil warning had been on for about 150 miles and the low level had been confirmed after many cold starts. One quart took it exactly back to the full mark. My advice is to wait until you are one quart low before you add any oil.
Appreciate 0