View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #110
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
2 different sales guys at my local BMW dealership have said negative things about the 528. They feel the 4 cylinder engine isn't powerful enough for such a heavy car. I have the 4 cylinder X3 and feel it's plenty powerful, though it's a lighter vehicle and they both said there's a difference. I asked about them knowing of any clients that have buyers remorse and they both said no.

What do you owners of the 2012 or 2013 528's feel about your car? Are you happy with it? Do you feel that it has adequate pick up? Any buyer's remorse?

Looking at purchasing a 5 Series later this year. Would love to save the $5K and have better fuel economy.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
I came from an S4 and have absolutely zero buyer’s remorse. Yes, it’s slower than the Audi, but it is more than adequate for my NYC driving. I have no doubt that 535xi will be faster though; after all it’s faster on paper. Now, will you really feel the 0.7sec difference in 0-60 (xDrive) or the difference in gear ratios? These differences are too minute to care for me.

Can you hear the engine? Yes, on a cold start, if you roll the windows down, you will hear the engine. I am not an audiophile so I personally couldn’t care less how a cold v6 sounds compared to a cold v4. Once you roll the windows up, the car is dead quiet (unlike 328 with the same engine).

I read quite a few comments bashing the v4 (not necessarily in this thread), but they all sooner or later just boil down to a one simple conclusion, which is “(…) I have driven a v6+ all my life and I am not willing to spend 60k+ on a four banger”. Point taken, but then it becomes nothing else but just a personal mental thing (not that there is anything wrong with it).

Large displacement cars are a thing of the past. It’s been like that in Europe forever and yes, they’ve always been true blue blood Germans. Yet, I understand how someone who all his life drove a v8 suburban with a square footage comparable to a “cozy” Manhattan studio may not feel the same mental comfort driving a faster and more economical v4.

Good luck!

Last edited by COBodom; 03-08-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0