View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

OMG Route 66 Warranty came through for me

Route 66 just paid for nearly $13,000 in repairs at my BMW dealer. I've had nearly no issues with my '13 535i in 69k miles until now.

Got my first-ever Drivetrain Malfunction a couple of weeks ago, the car had reduced power but was drivable (my passengers didn't notice), and didn't come back on after that short trip. 2 days later on my commute to work it came on again - definitely noticed the reduced power, and at highway speeds there was a loud droning sound like you get with wind buffeting when you have one window partly open (but none were).

Brought it to the Indy that had been doing routine service since my car was out of factory maintenance period - they couldn't figure it out and said I should bring it to BMW.

Next day BMW diagnosed turbo pressure converter failure (somewhat common), and, when they ran the car on a lift, found WTF, rear differential mounts broken and driveshaft coupler broken. Out of balance driveshaft took out the differential and both need to be replaced!

Also the common seeping valve-cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and oil filter gaskets, which Route 66 covered too.

Turbo Pressure Converter: $400
Driveshaft: $2700
Differential/axles: $4800
Valve-cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, oil filter gasket: $5500

They actually capped the payment at $12,800, the book value of my car at the time, but holy shit! My SA had never heard of Route 66 before (he was wary when I brought the car in and told him I have a 3rd party warranty), but has said they were the best warranty company he's dealt with besides BMW. After the diagnosis, Route 66 sent someone to the shop to inspect it before authorizing, and then again after the work was done. So it took about two weeks in all.

Bullets, dodged.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0