07-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #15
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335IAF View Post
Thanks guys for all the feedback. If I were going to go buy a car right now I think a 535 would fit the bill. I need to go drive one and get a real feel, but you guys answered what I was looking for. It's just not going to drive like the car I'm in now and I believe it would help me lose some of those poor driving habits like taking corners as fast.
Oh, it's not taking corners fast that'll go away, if anything, you'll get a lot more confidence in (properly built) 535, but it'll only be "as fun" as E90 was when you get to very illegal speeds (not that I would try or endorse that kind of thing of course), otherwise 535 will just "go through those corners" with poise

It's "switchbacks" and tight corners where you'll miss E90, that nimble feel is just not there with 535, but everything else is "better", (do note the quotation marks please) but, better.....in a mature way. You also won't get your teeth fillings rattled in 5 series, E90 can be a bit on the rough side on the long drives.

Think of E90 as that girlfriend you really liked in your 20s, and 535 as her, now a woman that's matured really well and still goes to gym regularly, but prefers wine to beer, high heels and nice dresses to jeans and flip flops. (I'm going to hell for this right?? - and yes, I'm exaggerating, but all in good fun, to make a point).

Again, your "problem" in my view is not that 5 series is not E90, it's more that current 3 series isn't E90 either.
When it comes to driving dynamics, if you want to keep the same feel you have today, you probably want to give 2 series a try.

Just my $0.02 of course.
Appreciate 0