02-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #32
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

So - a note I found on ECS regarding rotors:

Quote:
HELLA Pagid High Carbon Brake Rotors are manufactured to exceed original equipment specifications to be superior to most OE-style and performance rotors on the market. High carbon content means a denser rotor, for longer rotor life with less propensity to warping, along with better heat transfer for a cooler brake system, which is key in eliminating brake fade (and silent braking operation). These rotors feature a 2-piece fixed design with an aluminum hat for weight savings and improved cooling - just as BMW intended.
This is an OE disc from Pagid which seems to preserve "two piece" like the original. If the hats on the genuine BMW discs are aluminum then that is a notable difference in construction compared to most of the OEM/OES options out there.

The notes from the Zimmermans on the same site:

Quote:
Want to restore your stopping power? Replace those old rotors. 1-piece construction.
One piece options seem to be priced at around 50-60% of the price of two piece options.

I will be going two piece. It's not about the brand, it's about the product specification and construction.

Found a PDF from Pagid on 2 piece construction: https://www.hella-pagid.com/hellapag...hicle_3.17.pdf

It has a section that says more or less what I was saying about thermal stress issues
Quote:
When subjected to a high level of thermal load, such brake discs are susceptible to deviations like variations in thickness, axial misalignment and in shielding.

In these cases two-piece brake discs, also called composite brake discs, offer distinct advantages. Thanks to the diverse materials and special binding processes used in their manufacturing, these discs allow a decoupling of the heatflow to the wheel hub

Last edited by Surly73; 02-22-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0