07-30-2021, 10:33 PM   #116
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
So quitting is the new winning, shit everyone can be a hero and brave hooray! Let's change all the words to mean the opposite of what they used to that will really improve things.
We're going to have to agree to disagree in Biles case.

Here's a good article- in it, she says that things started in Tokyo, and she *literally* can't tell up from down in a jump. And has been trying to train in a gym in Tokyo with a soft pit.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/twis...gtype=Homepage

Here's the best analogy I can come up with.

My buddy is a professional airline pilot-- retired military and ~23 years with a major airline. He suddenly came down with a (thankfully, short-term) vestibular problem-- which shot his sense of balance and sense of up and down to hell and gone.

He had to call off a trip in the middle of it-- because his inner ear was completely whacked. Spatial sense is obviously very critical to a pilot-- and when he was in the cockpit, his inner ear and somatosensory system was telling him one thing while his visual cues and instrumentation were telling him something completely different.

So, he bailed. Was he a "quitter"? Or should he have "gutted it out" and tried to press on-- possibly killing himself and 180 other people? Should his answer have been different if it was just his life he was risking?

I think Simone Biles demonstrated amazing courage to do what she did-- bucking the pressure of the Olympics, personal expectations, the expectations of her country and the world, sponsors, media, etc-- that's NOT something you do on a whim. And she's ruled the gymnastics world for over a decade. I would give her a standing ovation for what she did if given the chance. She's literally the best that there ever was-- she has nothing to prove-- and at her level of difficulty, "sucking it up" while suffering from The Twisties had a very good chance of leading to her paralysis, injury or death.

As I said, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 07-30-2021 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0