Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakle535i View Post
Here in Europe we only get the 535i in RWD, The Xdrive is not full time 4wd like an Audi Quattro. The front drive shafts are driven by a seperate electronic transfer box, Pity BMW didn't give a button or option on Idrive to disable when not required. on the newer Gseries the Xdrive is mechanical.
That is actually wrong. xDrive in the F10 is mechanical, the engagement of torque split is electronically controlled. AWD is full-time. In contrast, some Quattro vehicles have a Haldex or an Active On Demand coupling that engages only when there is slip detected. I drove in both styles in blizzard conditions and the xDrive drove better with a more consistent feel rather than a reactive feel to slip in Haldex equipped Quattro. Some other Quattro equipped vehicles use a clutch type center differential, similar to how xDrive uses clutches, for the purpose to vary power split based on driving conditions.

Having an option to disengage the front wheels for summer road trips and long drives in good weather, that is a great option for better mpg and less wear. I would add the same benefits plus the overall feel during daily driving.

The other options of the xDelete are great and I hope it trickles to the F10. That is the option to select the torque split for xDrive. Sport mode AWD with increased rear torque can help reduce understeer and still have power going to the front wheels for overall grip when accelerating out of a turn. Then there is the custom torque split you can set. Set a 50:50 torque split for that 4WD feeling in snow. These options can fit anyone and hope their development will add these features for us.

Now, who remembers the Selec-Trac in Jeep vehicles. It was a mechanical transfer case with a lever to shift into 2wd, Full-time 4wd (with increased front to rear variability for turning), and Part-time 4wd with less variability front to rear. That was a great transfer case, lol.
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Past: '93 525i w/ S38B36 M5 engine/trans swap, '99 540i/6sp Sport, etc.
Appreciate 0