Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman52 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm being clear enough, though. What you describe above will remove the caliper from the caliper carrier. This will need to be done at some point, but my real concern now is how to get all the "guts" out of the caliper. It obviously contains a piston, but on the back side of that, there is also a flat metal disc that the electronic parking brake assembly bolts into. I'm wondering how to get this disc (and other bits behind it) out of the caliper. My thought is that if I pull the piston out of the caliper, I will be able to push the remaining parking brake guts out the other side, but I wanted to check to ensure this is feasible prior to actually doing it.

In short, I need to get the caliper completely stripped down to the metal so that it can be sandblasted and powdercoated. Hopefully this is more clear.
Remove the o-ring and you'll see that it's not a separate disc, but rather part of the caliper body. You'll probably want to make sure that o-ring groove doesn't get powder coated, or you may have a hard time reassembling the actuator to the caliper body. You can most likely just leave the o-ring on for the powder coating process, as long as you have a replacement.