07-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
michael14789
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VB5ER View Post
Easy there guy, lets not make this all about you. A pro install place quoted me $200 to do it but I wanted to try it myself since I had never done anything like this before. I left the "chrome bits" covered because I saw the other guy on here do it and liked it. I can always trim them out.
On the sides by the ashtray I ran short on material and had to do a separate piece there. Before your OCD gets all out of control, I have additional vinyl now to rewrap it. As this is my daily driver I wanted the console in while the vinyl was being delivered. I've had professionally installed graphics and vinyl on other vehicles and none come out 100 % perfect. I would say that I am 97% on the dash and door trims and maybe 94% on the console.
I do have a question for you since you seem to be able to achieve a flawless wrap on yours. How did you follow the outside upward curve facing the passenger side as it angles up to the top. The vinyl I am using wasn't plyable enough to do it, even with a heat gun, without splitting on the side. I actually had to put a small patch on it till I get it rewrapped. Now that does bother me quite a bit and definitely going to do the console over. It seems to me I may have to cut one piece for the passenger facing side and a separate piece for the top, just think it would look bad where they come together. If I can't figure it out or don't have the skill set to get it looking right, I'll pop the console again and take it to the pros. I'm battling some minor OCD issues with the console . Definitely not satisfied with it. If you have some good advice I would appreciate it. Have some compassion for those of us who are not instantly awesome at everything.

Yes, I am a little bit OCD and sometimes I'm proud of it and sometimes makes my head in

I strongly believe that you couldn't stretch the vinyl enough on the corner for a very simple reason - cheap, crap ( read sh###t vinyl). Your local wrap shop charge 200 because they probably using quality stuff (I think - unless they ripping people off )
Get yourself the 3M - they do charcoal colour finish too and you will notice the difference straight away. Make sure you leave a little bit to go around the corner and stick it underneath to prevent shrinking back (obviously it can't be massively overstretched in the first place).

And please cut those chrome bits out - believe me it doesn't look good - it looks cheap, tacky, unfinished !!!
Appreciate 0