CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
DIY: Black Door Handle Strips & Front Fender Marker

Hi everyone,

Just got into my F10 recently so I'm taking things slowly with the car. In anticipation of the black BBS CH-Rs I am currently waiting on, I have decided to remove the chrome pieces present on the door handles and fender piece on the side of of cars.

For the door handles, I couldn't justify paying hundreds for a new set of door handles so I simply vinyl-ed them with gloss black vinyl.

Here's the vinyl I used:

http://shadowlinetrim.com/

For the LCI, the fender trim is simply a plastic piece so I just ordered a new set from BMW and had it painted at a local shop in Jet Black for $20.

Here are the part #s:

Finisher, side panel, front left 51137336645
Finisher, side panel, front right 51137336646

Cut a piece of gloss black vinyl roughly the length of the door handle and apply the vinyl and make sure there are no bubbles. A heat gun is helpful here.

Using a sharp cutting tool such as an x-acto knife and cut along the outside edge of the door handle chrome insert

Use your finger nails and push the vinyl edges into the door handle insert

Remove excess vinyl

End result

For the fender trim, I simply had them painted and swap them out

I don't have pictures of me removing the fender trim but it is very straightforward, here are the steps:

Use a flat/thin nylon pry tool to push in a clip from the front of the trim.

While holding that clip down, use another tool of about the same size and undo two clips on top and bottom of the fender trim.

These two clips are roughly positioned in the middle of the trim piece and as long as you hold the front they will release as soon as you press down(for top piece)/up(for bottom piece) on it.

The fender trim piece is composed of chrome plastic attached to a black assembly behind it. You want to remove the entire assembly, and not just the chrome piece. All of the mentioned clips are found on the black assembly and are colored in black, so you shouldn't be pushing on anything on the chrome piece.

Before:

After:

Matches perfectly with the OEM M Performance High Gloss Black Grills and the black LED headlight housing

Last edited by CaliE90; 06-22-2015 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
John H.230.00