04-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #27
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d View Post
Yeah, its all a bit confusing...

Seems I cannot have VDC without Adaptive Drive on a 535i SE urgh.

I'm not to upset about firm ride of RFTs but I'm very concerned about the rolly-polly turn in Autocar talk of below. I'm going wait for M-Sport but I rather wanted a 535i M-Sport with VDC and no Adaptive Drive nonsence. Will have to wait for M-Sport specs.

From Autocar

First, we’d avoid choosing anything larger than the 18-inch wheels of our test car. Smaller wheels are standard and, if you can bear their appearance, will be better still at providing a truly isolated ride. As it is, the 18-inchers mated to the standard (passive and non-adjustable) suspension of our test car let sharper road imperfections affect the cabin in a way that a Mercedes E-class on 17s does not.

Adaptive dampers are optional on all models. With them fitted, small ripples are far better dealt with. Brake, turn (even modestly) and introduce a broken surface into the equation and this test 5-series fails to prevent noisy thumps with the same aplomb as an adaptively suspended car (even on 19in wheels) or an E-class. We understand a revision is planned.

BMW claims that the 5-series is the most overtly sporting car in this class, and while it does hold an agility advantage over the E-class, it lacks the centre-pivoted, fleet-footed feel of the Jaguar XF.

In this SE spec and without the active chassis, it also rolls more and has looser body control – surprisingly so for anyone coming from the old model. The BMW’s electrically assisted power steering is fine in its own regard (avoid the artificial-feeling Active Steer), but lacks the XF’s fluidity.
Autocar criticizes body roll of the f10, but say the adaptive drive is a matter of preference? I take it that the roll bars mentioned below refer to the adaptive drive. They recommend the VDC/dynamic dampers.

"... Every car on the international launch had all of these systems fitted. The RHD 530d tested here has none. In the magazine version of this road test we try an active car back-to-back with the passive car, and recommend which systems are worth going for.

Unfortunately the online format doesn’t give us such flexibility, but in short – go for the dampers, avoid the steering, and the roll-bars are a matter of preference.

Hope this clears things up."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/still...-the-same.aspx This sure is not clearing up the matter.
Appreciate 0