View Single Post
      04-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #22
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I agree, the sanitization of sport is evident everywhere, overtaking is now 'controversial" in F1..... MotoGP is where it's at right now, gladiators all, and magnificent competition. MotoGP seems to have missed the eyes of the chubby men in suits, but no doubt, they will seek it out and destroy it too...
I'm going to respectfully disagree with your assessment of MotoGP. While I agree the riders put more on the line than most professional athletes or motorsports participants, MotoGP is not without its form of "sanitization". Going back to the early 2000s they moved from the 500cc 2-strokes to the 1000cc 4-strokes. This was obviously done in search of more speed, but it sure made the bikes more docile, predictable, and easier to ride. I wasn't to bent out of shape when they made that move. The riders required immense skill and throttle control to man handle the bikes. Once riders started to master the 1000cc bikes, and manufactures started to up the horsepower, MotoGP reduced the displacement to 800cc. Because of better electronics (and tire compounds), the 800s began breaking all the track records once held by the 1000s. Once the electronics improved to the point that they could override all but the most ham fisted throttle inputs, they raised the displacement back to 1000cc. One could easily argue that all of this progress has placed R&D ahead of rider skill. Do I think the current crop of riders are good... Of course. But there's no question that MotoGP has been sanitized. This is what makes Rossi so impressive. He's won during each step of the way. And while we will never know, I'm not sure some of the premier younger riders could do the same.
Appreciate 0