View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

DIY: Evap core cleaning

Tired of the smelly wet sock that hit you in the face when you turn on your car after using your AC. And since summer is over the smell is worst when you first crank up the car after sitting a few hours. I think I found the solution after days of research.

Difficulty: 2
Items needed: T-20 T-30 bit. Metal cloths hanger. Tape. AC foaming coil cleaner. Aerosol can spray hose. Optional: compress air (only use if your drain line is clogged; mine was)

Remove air cabin filter and kick panel:
Start at the passenger side footwell and remove the single T-20 screw that is holding the carpet panel on the center console. To remove this panel you have to pull two plastic clip behind the panel off first then slide the panel forward to release the three metal clamps at the end.

Next remove the two silver T-30 screw that is holding the knee airbags in place. You do not have to remove the two T-20 screw holding the kick panel to the airbag. Once you remove the screws, pull down on the airbag gently because it is held on by two clips. Once you get panel down disconnect the foot light and the 12v socket connection. I didn't remove the airbag connector, but if you want to remove it make sure you disconnect the battery first before disconnecting the airbag. If not you might get the airbag warning lights on the dash. Move the panel aside to give you work room.

To remove the air filter there are four T-20 screws. One screw is tricky to find, it's hiding behind the rubber drain plug. Disconnect the drain plug from the cover and you should see it. Once you remove the cover pull down the two cabin air filter and remember which direction they go back in.

Next move to the driver side to remove the driver kick panel. Procedure is that same as the passenger side.

Cleaning evap:
This is the cleaning product that I used. I found it a Home Depot for $6 a can. I like the fresh smell of this product and its foaming and self-rinsing action. One can is more than enough for this job.

I used this aerosol can spray hose attachment that came with is evap cleaner I purchased from autozone a few years ago when I cleaned my e46. I don't not recommend this interdynamics auto ac evap odor eliminator because it did not have the foaming action they claim and it mostly came out liquidly.

Before you start cleaning I recommend that you check the condensation drain plug if they are clogged. They are the 90 degree grey rubber hose that is connected to the evap housing. My passenger side was fine but my driver side was clogged up. Once I pulled the driver side drain plug off I got the hit of the smelly sock odor and some funky murky condensation water that been settling for awhile.

If drain plug are clogged find some compressed air to blow it out. What I used was my portable dirt devil scorpion vacuum cleaner and used it in inflate mode and attached the air mattress connector onto it and blew the water out.

To clean the front of the evap core insert the spray hose into the driver side evap housing drain port and spray a good amount of product into it. After spraying reconnect the drain plug.

Move to the passenger side and insert the spray hose either into the drain port or the rubber drain hose that connects to the air filter cover. I sprayed product through the rubber drain hose from the air filter because the spray hose fitted into it perfectly. After spraying the product reconnect the drain plug and make sure you turn the drain plug from the air filter upward because if you don't the product will drain out from there.

To clean the back of the evap core undo a metal clothes hanger and straighten it out. Bend it into 90 degree with one end being about 20 inched long and the other about 12 inches long. Tape the hose to the longer tip of the rod.

Insert the rod into the rear opening of the filter housing. To reach the back of the evap core insert the rod upwards into the opening than pushing it leftward. To check if you are in the back of the evap core gently move the rod around until you feel the evap core fins. Once you know you are there push the rod all the way left and spray the product from top down and work from left to right. Spray about half the can then pull the rod out. Wait about ten to fifteen minutes and let the chemical works it thing.

If you want a really deep clean repeat the cleaning procedure.

Once finished reinstall all items in reversed order.

Start the car and set ventilation to max blower. Set air setting to footwell and fresh air mode. Open all windows and let the car run for about 5 minutes to dry up the evap core.

Enjoy the fresh smell.
Attached Images

Last edited by top ramen; 11-12-2019 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 5