06-27-2022, 07:23 AM   #21
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
Still, hellish toxic smell lingers from the duct. Decided to clean the evap tomorrow, bought 2 cans of foam cleaner and Sonax Klima Cleaner.
Did you ever manage to get that smell out of the car? This may help if not.

I had a similar issue with my Corvette during winter storage. Mice got as far as the blower and built a nest (couldn't chew through the fan), then died. Spring came, I opened the door and was nearly instantly sick to my stomach… the smell was something I'd never experienced before. The whole interior of the car was wet with condensation, and there was black goo dripping out of the blower housing onto the passenger side carpet. I thought I'd have to scrap the whole interior.

After a thorough cleaning of the fan and duct area with Spray Nine, a friend who runs a car detailing business used a fogging system that eliminates anything living - bacteria, mold, etc. He put the nozzle into the hvac intake and we let the car run with ac on for 15 min, shut the car off and let it sit for a while before opening the doors. We also removed and scrubbed the carpets with a special shampoo, and I just replaced the floor mats.

The smell is not 100% gone (you can still detect it if the car is sitting out on a hot day), but it's a huge improvement.
Appreciate 0