View Single Post
      01-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodjer View Post
I spent a considerable amount of money buying a 530D M Sport F10, and am extremely disappointed at the excessive road noise whilst travelling. The tyres which are fitted are Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 19 inch Run flats. These tyres are advertised at producing 68db, probably the claimed quietest tyres for the Beamer, well if these are the quietest I would hate to hear anything above this 68db limit. Very disappointed BMW as a transit van is quieter than this, you would expect next to no noise transmission from the tyres inside the car, for this prestige make of car. I am seriously considering getting rid of this and jumping ship to an Audi. My 530D E60 was quieter. Can anyone advise of a similar situation, is it because the tyres are run flat that so much noise is produced.
Remember that the rating is only part of judging a tyre's cabin noise level. The test is a drive by figure and on a specific surface finish, so not a true representative of what gets to the cabin.

The ironical thing is that a tyre with a higher decibel level can be quieter in the car, than a lower rating.

I run two different tyres on my F11, both run-flat. The winter Dunlop tyres are very quiet, virtually silent on some surfaces. The summer tyres are Continental and are more surface influenced. Again, quiet on some surfaces, a bit of noise on coarse finishes, but no way intrusive. I'm on 17" winter and 18" summer tyres.

I'd say the F10/11 is well isolated from road noise, I guess the lower the tyre profile the worse the noise often gets, but that applies to non run-flats as well.

I've driven F10 models on 19" run-flats, can't recall tyre noise being an issue. The F30, that's a different story, a lot of tyre noise and not just fun-flats. Non run-flat ECO tyres are pretty noisy.
Appreciate 0