View Single Post
      09-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i

Car cover in the PNW

I just moved to Seattle, and as you may know it rains quite a bit.

What I didn't know, is that there's quite a bit of tree sap being blown around by the wind (my car wasn't parked under a tree, but sap still got on it)

This normally wouldn't be an issue if you wash the car once a week or every two weeks. However, I have to travel often and sometimes am gone for 3-4 weeks. Last time I came back and the car was covered in dirt/dust. So I figured a good wash should do it. Turns out I was in a deeper hole. They called and mentioned "red sap" being all over the car (including windshields). Because the car wasn't moved for almost a month the sun "baked" tree sap in. It's very well possible it ate through the clear coat.

I have the car in for a full detail at the moment. However, to fight against this, I need a car cover. But I've heard terrible things about those (apparently they get dirty easily (pick up dirt from the ground or tires), can scratch the car with this dirt, moisture can build up under the cover during storms and can potentially ruin a paint job).

Luckily at work we have a covered parking garage. But at home, I am parked in an open space lot (no cover at all).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations? Or am I totally screwed and need to find a house with a garage (very rare here in Seattle and the east side).