View Single Post
      04-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Revisiting this thread for any more comments on sway bars that folks are combining with their coilovers. From everything I've read I can expect the v3s to take out a ton of body roll, nose dive and butt squat so the need for stiffer sways will be reduced. I'm currently running M5 front, H&R 20mm rear, and there's still some undesired side effects from that.

Also I'm still thinking about ride height. The catch being that with KWs adjusting the ride height also adjusts the pre-load, so making it higher will also make it stiffer, which is just a weird combination. I did the math to convert all the ride heights I can get my hands on to spindle-to-fender (BMW measures differently now).

Stock F10 AWD ride height is basically 384mm/370mm.
Option 704 F10 RWD ride height is 374mm/360mm - a whole 10mm lower.
The Alpina B5 is 379/365 - 5mm lower
The M5 has different fenders but is 382/372, while the M5 ZCP is 372/362.

I was initially thinking I'd do -10 or -20mm. I still need to drive in heavy winters, I don't want weird tire wear and I don't want to be scraping everything.

It appears that KW's mid-range, TUV-approved target is 340mm/340mm or -44mm/-30mm. So that's 1.5-1.75". Holy smokes. Those familiar with KW instructions know that they give a min/max range on the height adjustment that they recommend, but their listed target always seems to be the same (340mm in my case).

Not sure what I should do - if I should go 2/3 up the recommended range and try for less drop. Or go for dead center in the recommended range and see what I get. Perhaps delay my corner balance and alignment and play around a bit first?

I don't want to be "high and stiff" with weird handling - I'm doing this pretty much ALL for the handling and not the looks. The stock ride height looks "acceptable" with 18s but with the 19s on for the summer it does look jacked up.

Anyways - welcoming conversations on ride height and sways....
Appreciate 0