View Single Post
      11-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

I renewed the policy again on my 535D and upgraded it to £100 excess option (I was on £250 excess before) with comprehensive cover and emergency breakdown cover. £865. I am on 42400 miles.

That is a lot of money, for sure. However, the way I think about this is that to get under the umbrella of BMW warranty with a replacement BMW Approved used car purchase would see me having to part trade my current car and add £20000 of my money (possibly more) to get such a car of similar specification to my 535D - and that £20000 would immediately depreciate away to nothing in a couple of years. £10000 a year in depreciation.

My car has undergone much of that deprecation, is highly specified, is low mileage and is immaculate and, most importantly, I still love it. So I think the £865 when you way that dynamic up is worth it - certainly in my circumstances where I can afford it. But then, could *you* afford a very costly repair bill, because you didn't invest in the warranty? That's the chance you take. Because of course, you could risk not having any warranty and trusting to luck and you may get away with it. But these cars are full of sophisticated electronic systems and and an extremely expensive repair - five figures maybe - is always a possibility. Any repair for me now is just the £100 excess on what is a fabulous car. And I have not had to fork out a fortune to replace what is an immaculate car.

That's my rationale. I just think there are too many very expensive moving parts and systems on these cars not to be under the umbrella of the manufacturer.

EDIT: Meant to add that when you get your renewal letter, you have the option to convert the warranty from annual to monthly if you want to. Or vice versa. Next year I will take the monthly option. I plan to keep this car for another three or four years.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT

Last edited by shiner; 11-04-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0