08-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Didn’t XHP say not to use linear with their tune?
xHP says not to use devices or algorithms which modify the throttle curve, you're right, but they've told me not to worry about linear. More below:

Here they really mean not to use modification which increase the throttle curve (e.g. make it act faster). They read the pedal position and set shift pressures and other things based on that. If you put something in which has engine output significantly above what's expected the shift pressure would be too low and you'd get slip, wear, and bad stuff.

With linear throttle, the engine is usually making less torque than the normal factory curves and, if anything, shift pressure is higher than necessary.

In an interaction with them I asked about this and was told pretty much the above - they're way more concerned about people who do things to make the pedal even more sensitive than normal and not the other way.

To be absolutely technically correct - yes, even linear is not what they expect. I've been running it for about 1.5 years that way though. More than that - I've found that with my stage 1 tune with linear throttle has about the same power output at lower throttle angles as no tune and stock throttle mapping. Really - it probably plays with xHP just fine since you don't tell xHP you have a tune when you load it.

My "extra zoom" from stage 1 just comes as more power deeper in the pedal, where stock tune and stock pedal curve results in no further increase in power.
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00