________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
No doubt Lewis has made mistakes under pressure, I have never denied it. Infact I've called Lewis out on his brake magic mistakes...
This was to address the notion that is constantly brought up that max is a perfect driver immune to mistakes. And to address what Nico said about pressure on the lead driving being significantly more than the one who's behind.
I understand what you mean.

Cuts both ways:

First, HAM has already been reprimanded twice this season for on-track antics (unsafe entry onto the track during FP1 in Mexico + forcing Mazepin off track during FP3 in Saudi Arabia). If HAM triggers a third reprimand tomorrow during FP3 or Q1/Q2/Q3, he automatically gets a 10-place grid penalty as per FIA regulations. So the Mercedes team (pitwall) and HAM will need to be very focused. For sure the Red Bull team will take a very close look at HAM's on-track behavior. Compromising a laptime of a competitor and all other sorts of questionnable tricks: don't look for trouble.

Secondly, VER is in the lead, so HAM must finish, not before anyone, but before VER in the top 10, who is capable of winning the race and is known for not backing down and yielding. So that puts the bar high. Furthermore, HAM has to walk on eggs whenever VER is nearby: a racing incident happens quickly - enough controversial incidents this season to know this. It would be a poor gamble for Mercedes and HAM to speculate on stewards disqualifying VER if the two touch yet again. If VER can race flatout with perfect pitstops, good race strategy, no incidents and manages to get the lead: HAM has no other choice than to win. The slightest mistake by HAM, Mercedes team strategy or the Mercedes pit crew can cost them dearly.

Thirdly, the pit crew keeping their cool: a "slow" pitstop can cost the championship; the pressure on them will be massive: failure is no option. So Mercedes better uses brandnew wheelnuts to avoid a Bottas in Monaco failure (see here).

And last but not least: it's easy for all of us as 'armchair F1 pilots' to blame drivers for their mishaps; we do not have the faintest idea how bloody complex and demanding it is physically, intellectually and mentally to drive the machinery and consumables on the limit while being filmed from all angles and millions of people looking worldwide. For example most say that VER screwed up in the Saudi Arabia qualification in hitting the wall in the final corner, that it showed immaturity or recklessness. I disagree: for me that lap was the qualification lap of the year: I was no longer sitting but standing in front of my TV, shaking my head in awe when I saw purple for sector 1 and purple for sector 2: VER was dancing on the blade of a knife, aware of the risk that he could cut himself. A remarkable determination and guts rarely seen in recent F1: going all-in. Yes, tires couldn't hold grip anymore and he hit the wall. But if he had pulled it off and gotten away with it, he would have been applauded by everyone. Also HAM and BOT admitted that also their fastest laps were hairy, though with a lucky outcome, and that VER was flying. That's the way it goes at the top of F1: if you settle for just "very good" risk averse, you will never be F1 world champion. If VER would not have the ruthless gladiator mentality, you would have never heard about him.

Conclusion: HAM will encounter as much pressure as VER + I trust that VER will go all-in during the race this Sunday, taking substantial risks.
This sums it up nicely. Let's talk racing now, can't wait for Sunday.
Won't watch quali at 5, but will wake up at 5 for the race.
Appreciate 0