View Single Post
      12-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #115
sir hawggington
Registered
Rep
Drives: '90 535i, '04 S60R, '12 550i

I'm deciding whether or not to replace the N63 in my newly purchased '12 550i. I bought it below rough trade-in value (distressed seller), so I could turn around and use the money I gave to a private party as equity toward another vehicle...or I could drop 8k and have a 550i with a new engine.

It's at 98k miles so it's still at the 40/60 breakpoint, they are quoting me ~8k my end (~15k total cost prior to CCP offset) for the engine and labor for a replacement. I've read this thread and several others--I know there are varying prices for having this service done. Perhaps I could negotiate the price lower.

I'm not sure that it's worth 8k, especially if these are just refurbished N63s as Rusty suggests. Otoh, car does have some pull and I'd probably tune the new motor. I wonder if the car would accept a different (more badass) engine than the base N63. If I could have a ~500hp 550i that'd be compelling.

Well, just thought I'd share--I know I've used this as a resource so maybe my thoughts will prove useful to others. Good luck all.
Appreciate 0