09-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
BrandBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
Nice they provide a video so you can see, not only the issues, but how serious they may or may not be. It appears you have a seep, that's why the tech said a drip. While it isn't particularly difficult, the engine may need to be raised to gain clearance. It's a process that takes time.

That seepage is manageable and you can go ahead without changing it for now. If you do skip it for now, keep an eye on the oil level (might not even change that much) and go ahead get quotes from independent shops.

The thing with the oil pan gasket is it leaks/seeps when oil is sloshed to it. Since it sits higher, oil will only get to the rear leak (your oil gasket seep location) when you accelerate or park on an incline. Otherwise, it isn't leaking when parked and not seeping much when cruising. Should it be taken care of, yes. Does it leak/spew pressurized oil like the oil filter housing gasket, no.
'11 535ix M-Sport - FMIC, CP, BM3 engine & trans, CQuartz Finest Ceramic, Poly tension bushings, Dynamic, Active Roll, Flappy paddles, HUD, Premium(s), Cold, Convenience, 5-cameras, 4-zones, Driver's Assist, Auto high, Hex trim
'92 850i, '08 XC90 3.2
Past: '93 525i w/ S38B36 M5 engine/trans swap, '99 540i/6sp Sport, etc.
Appreciate 0