02-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
OK I attempted this today - didn't go as planned. I've backed it out, but I'd like to share some stuff.
Sorry to hear this man. I know, it's not exactly a risk free job. What makes it worse is that sometimes brute force is required, but apply too much and you break something. For the plastic handle holder, yes, care is required because of the fiber optic wire, and that's actually in the ISTA document I attached too.

For the P/N: Agreed. I recommend you use https://bimmercat.com/bmw/EN and your VIN. Then filter according to your options. Apparently, 51 21 7 229 455 is for comfort access cars (S322A) and 51 21 7 202 143 for vehicles with an alarm system (S302A). I have both and had 143. Do you have an OEM alarm? Anyway indeed, ETK is very unclear on this point as 455 also shows up as a valid option for me... No idea about the difference if any, but if ETK doesn't say parts are in the same family there's a good risk they aren't, maybe at electrical level, depending on ECU used who knows... So in your case you would normally need 455 or 461.

Edit: By the way, I think that sometimes the latch is fine, but when the door is reassembled the technician could pinch the internal bowden cable going from the handle to the latch. So just maybe you reassembling the door and putting some lube actually fixed it. Time will tell.

Last edited by Breach; 02-15-2019 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0