View Single Post
      05-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Shinobi
Addicted to AutoX
Rep
Drives: Modded e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
They bring out the best in design, and if this is the best that can be done, it looks like they need some more innovation and design which the Bangle era was audacious enough to try out.
The taillights of the e60 5-series, which came out in what -2003(?), looked VERY similar to those of the Subaru Imprezas that were out in 2000-2001. Not very innovative IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
The stark resemblance of the tail lights on the X1 and the 5 Sedan was not the way BMW used to be.
This is your idea of stark resemblance? Um, OK. I think the pics above show a much stronger resemblance.

OP - I do agree with you that the taillights remind me of an Infiniti rear (1st generation G35 to be precise). Personally, I would like to have seen them go with something more like the Gran Coupe concept or the X6's taillights.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a truly unique design that doesn't remotely resemble something that's been done before. It would have to be something totally off the wall like the ones on the Efficient Dynamics concept. With so many BMW models right now, I think they are least doing a good job with the variety of design, but keeping them similar with the incorporation of the LED "light bars" ( which is akin to the angel eyes up front in keeping a Bimmer distinct from other cars out there ).