View Single Post
      07-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #71
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

The No AC condition has become a significant issue.

The system now loses 1lb of r134a in less than 15 hours. Having already injected dangerous levels of dye both standalone and as part of the 3 sealing systems I have tried. I am not able to see evidence of any die anywhere in the car.

Granted I have not gotten under the car to check leaks underneath the car. And while there is a possibility the ac compressor might have a very difficult to see leak behind the pulley. I find that highly unlikely.

Using a 15 dollar sniffer pictured above proved to be a waste of time, It beeps on my x5 when cold air is blowing on it. Also there is the possiblity the refrigerant could be pulled into the driver vents from a leak in the engine compartment.

The possible ways to proceed in order of least effort/cost are:

1. Purchase an ultrasonic device that can hear ultrasonic turbulence caused by the leak. The leak is huge so this should spot it. but if it's too deep under the dash it might not.

Luckily the noise can be created by creating vacuum or by putting a 4 dollar can of 1lb of 134a from home depot. Nitrogen can also be used and should create a louder ultrasound as the molecules are thinner.

2. Purchase a more powerful UV LED light that might give out the dye better than my pen UV light. The dyes have been both UV and Red color so not sure if this is of any use.

3. Pressurize the entire system with Nitrogen as above. Except the BMW manual calls for pressurizing the evaporator ONLY. Not having the Evaporator pressurizing adapter (and no where to buy it) would mean I would have to DIY a adapter that can hold 120psi or pressurize the entire system. Not sure if this is safe. Not sure on the cost of a small 10lb can of Nitrogen + necessary adapters It would be at least 200 bucks. No garantee Ill be able to hear it.

4. With the car completely cold, feed refrigerant and check with a thermal camera if the gas cools up the sorrounding areas. This would only work if the leak was by the compressor shaft seal or somewhere under the hood.

My main suspect is the evaporator. Strange smells coming from it might be a give away. but smells come from it even when it's out of refrigerant. which means there is probably some mold or something else that is causing the smell.

BMW quotes $ 350 just to run dye trough the system. It goes up from there. No they will not just pressurize the evaporator for me. They have their proceidures. But Im looking at 1k bucks just to diagnose.

The evaporator replacement job if needed would be 16 hours plus parts.

The dash is not coming off unless I am 100% certain the evaporator is at fault. And the ultrasonic device appears to be my best option right now.

Went with the Inficon whisper trough amazon. If it's of no use I can always return it.