Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrNinja View Post
Nice build it has come a long way!

Good luck on everything man!

Thank you!!

I got a new toy today

Ran a few tests on stove to get an idea of what gas sounds like as well as a open faucet. Leaks sound like wind trough the ultrasonic detector. Perfect.

First inspected the car troughly on and off with the microphone to get used to all the noises. (there is a beep coming from the ignition)

Then popped in a can or 134a (also cracked a leak on the hoses and listened to it with the ultrasonic device, sounds like air turbulence very very loud. )

With the car off scanned both shraeder valves. the front condenser around the compressor wheel and the evaporator. Yup there is distinctive sound coming from the evaporator.

Took a step further and removed passenger airbag as well as cabin filter enclosure. Sound gets louder, the sound is very specific to the location of the evaporator.

The sound decreases in intensity as the car sits with the engine off. after around 3 minutes the sound decreases almost completely.

I presume the refrigerant in the evaporator decreases in quantity when the compressor is not constantly pumping more refrigerant into it when it's leaking.

The evaporator is known for hissing and making strange noises when refrigerant is low so this made me a bit weary. I need to be 100% certain there is a leak there.

Turned the car on and off a few times with and without the fan running. I also listened again to the sound of 134a escaping an orifice and it is very distinct.

I also placed the microphone close to the expansion valve from the engine compartment no sound. Then tried to use the cheap refrigerant sniffer from amazon by the water drain hose since refrigerant travels downwards, Got no beeping from the device.

The only thing out of place here is that I was able to remove the evaporator water drain and flashed an UV light into it. No traces of dye can be found. Not sure why. I would think the dye would be there if the evaporator was leaking refrigerant. Maybe its long gone ?

despite that last bit I conclude the evidence is strong enough the sound is most likely caused by refrigerant escaping the evaporator core. The dash needs to come off. Damn

Last edited by rkstar9; 07-23-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
BurrNinja431.50