09-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #94
BrandBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix M-sport

Garage List
2011 535ix Msport  [0.00]
1992 850i  [0.00]
PM me and perhaps we could document our process and impressions of different tension strut/thrust arm set-ups.

I am in the northside of Chicago. I've done thrust arms on e34s (x6), e31s (x3), e39s (x2), and control arms on BMWs, Volvos, Hondas, etc, but based on this thread, you are also mechanically proficient. I plan to buy new Lemforder arms, press out the bushings, and replace with street Powerflex poly bushings. Just a note, I have seen Lemforder rubber quality diminish and it is not what it used to be from years ago.

I've used the Powerflex purple street durometer bushings on other cars with great success and it is not what the old thinking is of the track version of poly bushings are. Poly gives a more direct pivot so the energy will transfer up to the shocks/springs, where it should go, reducing judder/flex when hitting a bump. From my real-world experience, most of the benefit is from the poly bushings being solid, removing cut-outs or oil-filled areas of the bushing where flex occurs. The added benefit comes from the poly bushing pivoting efficiently rather than twisting a bushing when the arm moves up or down.

Some links about Lemforder gripes:
BMW e70, lighter (bottom) is original 80k mile arm
BMW F10 RWD
On a Mercedes, it's the bushing making the noise not the balljoint the owner reported on a forum
https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/...ky-drop-links/ Porsche owners

Sorry, don't mean to take over your thread and don't know how to post the youtube links where it doesn't automatically preview a window.
Appreciate 0