02-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
For the guys that recently did this, how do you refill the second time and top off without burning yourself if the car is warm already? If the main reason for filling at the right temperature is getting the right amount in, can't you just measure how much came out and make sure you put the same amount in? I saw some people jack up the passenger side to add another liter.

I'm planning on doing this on ramps, is there a way to put the car into neutral to bring it off the ramps after the first fill?

Thanks!
IMO - Do it by the book - no guessing. The factory fill could be wrong, or you might have had a leak you didn't know about etc...

I found this process way easier than I was expecting based on my past experience with doing this on E39s. I'm pretty sure I posted here somewhere after I did my job this spring.

I wore gloves, and I put a flame protector over the exhaust pipe closest to the transmission where I might bump it with an arm. This is the kind of thing used by plumbers when they use a torch to solder and need to protect stuff behind the pipe. like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-9-...4002/100345508

With the car on stands and an assistant in the driver's seat with the ISTA laptop, I was easily able to scoot in and out and do what I needed to do to set the level.

Daunting to think about, but way easier than I was expecting.
Appreciate 1
Sylverlee150.00