mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
Lots of people complain that F1 lost the sound of the V8 (well I miss the V10's for that matter). I kind of agree that the V6's don't sound as great and we all know the downsize is due to emissions regulations (right?)

Regardless, I wonder what would happen if F1 implemented the straight six in their engines. In my (biased) opinion, it would sound a lot better than the current V6's, would have a similar displacement and sound amazing. Wouldn't it?
Nope, not really.

What we need as an additional 3000rpm. Currently the engines only goes to 10k rpm, or thereabouts.

The old V10s and V8s were around 16k - 18k rpm, and that's what made them so nice.

Apparently, changing the engine noise for the better, is quite high up Liberty Media's list of things to do after 2020. Let's hope they get it right, as every time I hear a sound clip of the old F1 cars I get sad.

Edit to add: packaging a straight 6 engine into an F1 car would almost be impossible, with the current setup they are running. It would mean the car would have to be a lot longer, and that would greatly reduce the nimbleness of the cars.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8725.00
Efthreeoh17373.50