01-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelangg View Post
i just removed my battery because it needed a charge, forgot to leave the trunk open and doors are locked. is there anyway to get in the car? I tried to put the key in manually in the door, but it will not turn. it goes all the way in but doesn't turn. is it because it is electrical? how can i get into the car or the trunk?
Personally, I've never heard of the key not working in the deover's door. That's how I accessed my car when it was in the valet parking at the hotel we were at in New Orleans. I would try (assuming it's the correct key) rocking the key back and forth and maybe even squirting some dry-lube in the mechanism to breakup any gunk that may be there. I don't recall where you are, but when we lived in SLC I carried a lighter to heat up the key as the lock sometimes froze and there was no way I could turn the key. Sometimes it's cheaper to break a window and get in that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Looks like they removed the mechanical key override to the trunk on the F10 (my E90 had one hidden near the license plate). So - key in the driver's door to access the vehicle. You'll probably have to connect some kind of power to the cigarette lighter, or pop the hood and connect to the jumper posts. Then use the button at the driver's feet to open the trunk.

Hope no wires in the trunk are sitting so that they short to ground or it will get really interesting.

If you have one of the rear seats folded down you could pull the emergency interior anti-entrapment trunk release.

If the key isn't turning it may be seized, or you just need to turn harder.

PSA: Manual key override is something that everyone should familiarize themselves with and try out before they need it to make sure they know they have the right key (lock hasn't been changed) and what it feels like when it works.

Next time you want to charge the battery connect to the under hood terminals.
All well and good, except he's locked out and has no access to those solutions.
Appreciate 0