01-31-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcm1952 View Post
I've got a 2014 535i and on one of the headlights it looks like a film or clear coat of some kind is starting to flake off. I really don't want to spend the $1,000's required to replace a headlight. Can these be "repaired" by doing the multiple step sanding and polishing process?
It's true repaired is never like new. Since you are seeing hardcoat failure, though, you have little to lose.

They can be made quite a bit better with polishing, and there are variable quality re-coating products out there. I've had decent looking results from a kit with an aerosol top coat - don't remember the brand - used it on a friend's non-BMW car that was REALLY bad and they were just shooting for "better", not perfect.

There are other coatings out there which are pretty much "the real deal" like Opti's Opti-Lens. The catch is the smallest quantity you can get that in will do about 50 cars I think.

You'll get best results removing the light assembly from the car and working on a bench. You can ask in dedicated detailing forums too if you'd like to DIY.
Appreciate 0