08-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #33
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I think most people tend to confuse reliability with maintenance.

German cars require more maintenance. More replacement of parts at shorter intervals. Pretty typical of more high performance parts. A lot of ordinary Japanese and American cars are not trying to be performance oriented; so their parts last longer and require less maintenance and/or replacement.

That being said I do think BMW for example have frequently dropped the ball on things like water pumps, fuel pumps, etc.

The fact is modern cars on the whole are fairly reliable...german cars are no exception.
What are these replacement "maintenance" parts that need to be replaced on German cars and not Japanese cars? Shouldn't BMW be pointing them out in the Maintenance Manual? Trying to think, filters and spark plugs are the only parts, then fluids, anything after that is when the part wears out? Are there any other maintenance parts?

My Audi had a long list of sensors that failed, didn't see them as anything to do with maintenance.

Last edited by David70; 08-28-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0