01-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman52 View Post
This doesn't match up with the research I've done historically, as F10s definitely came from the factory with metallic pads as far as I'm aware. If you take the part number from RealOEM and order those pads from BMW, you should get metallic pads.

That being said, it would not surprise me if some dealers have made the decision to swap out the OEM metallic pads for ceramics when they perform pad replacement on customer cars. The brake dust of BMW OEMs is horrendous and almost every brake pad thread on here will see a lot of complaints about it. I have no doubt the standard dealership customer complains endlessly about it.

From my experience, if you want ceramic pads for the stock braking system on an F10, you have to specifically seek them out. If you just do a parts search for the brake pad number on somewhere like https://www.buycarparts.co.uk, most of the aftermarket OEM replacement pads that come up are going to be metallic. There are a handful of ceramic options, but far fewer than the metallic counterparts.

There could be a regional component to this too.

My F10 was brand new "in the family" (I wasn't driving it at first). Compared to every other German car I've owned and serviced (including friends and family) I was astonished at how low dust it was. During the factory maintenance plan rear brakes were required. The new set from the dealer was also virtually dust free.

I did my own front brake job 13 months ago using Pagid pads and rotors (as described, I was trying to find original OE compound) and now they're super dusty like I'm used to. The rears are still dust free.

In all my research when preparing for the front brake job, I found indications that F series cars are ceramics from the factory.
Appreciate 0