View Single Post
      05-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #70
OrcaPod
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 528i N52 engine

Thank you Unspec for such a great DIY!

Just completed auto transmission pan/filter, fluid replacement on my 2011 F10 528i RWD (N52).

My car has 160 500 km (~ 100K miles) and I don't think it was ever replaced by previous owners based on condition of the fluid/pan.

The shifting is noticeably smoother after replacement.

i got ZF 8 fluid from rockauto.com and trans pan/filter from autohausaz. That was the cheapest option for me considering shipping to Canada.

Around 4.3 L went out and around same volume went in.

Few notes to re-iterate:
- Make sure to do the "Rev to 2000 and hold it there for 30 seconds to fill the torque converter" part. I mistakenly skipped it at first and was not able to add any fluid during "required temperature" fill. After doing this step i was able to add some extra fluid, so old fluid volume OUT was equal to new fluid IN based on my estimates.

- On my model, It was a pita to remove a protective/supportive bracket on passenger side of transmission pan (to get access to fill plug). There is very little space to access 2 nuts which are holding the supportive bracket behind exhaust pipes. I had to cut my 10mm wrench in half so it can be squeezed between pipes and car's bottom.
Appreciate 1