11-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Exclamation DriveTrain Malfunction/Issues on N63TU 2014 550i

Hey everyone,

I've been having a lot of issues with my car for the past few months, constantly taking it back into the shop and paying money to get things fixed.

It all started after I got my rear differential bushing replaced. I've noticed that the idle was rough and the car had some stuttering when slowing down or driving at low speeds.

Took it to the dealer and he said there's water in the fuel and to refuel it. So I emptied the tank and refueled it a few times and still had issues. Then an article came out saying that the gas station I go to had water in their fuel for a few weeks and I stopped going there.

A drivetrain malfunction eventually came up and idled really rough. Took it to the dealer and they charged me $300 to get the VANOS reprogramed and then said my turbo elbows need to be replaced. Called BMW USA and they covered half the cost of replacing the elbows. However, I still have the same issues. I read the forums and strongly believed it was the fuel injectors. But as the dealer replaced them, they said to have run the diagnostics (fuel injector tests) and it passed it all. The car drove nicely, but then 200 miles after getting the car back, I get a drivetrain malfunction, the first CEL light and extremely rough idle. After I parked it and started it again after a few hours, I get this loud popping noises from the exhaust that sounds like misfires.

What should I do? I do plan on towing it to the dealer but I'm tired of spending money to fix the same issue.

Here is the Youtube Video of the sounds from the exhaust.
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0