View Single Post
      12-01-2022, 12:40 PM   #68
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Which is why people are saying Boxster, it's a Miata with more power. To enjoy a Miata, you need very tight and twisty roads, there's no shove in the back so you better have the right conditions for it.
My thoughts as well. I test drove a 2022 Miata RF 6MT back in the summer. I figured the extra power in the ND2 would be enough (upper 5s 0-60, mid-14s@97mph 1/4 mile). The acceleration was decent, but there was hardly any shove at full throttle. But what struck me most was the total lack of drama. The induction sounds and exhaust were really quiet and the drivetrain very smooth. I guess I was hoping for a strong and deep induction wail and some vibration like a older Honda VTEC. Intakes on the ND2 only hurt power and are excessively loud and exhausts tend to drone. As such, I had to scratch the car off the list.

I then looked at 2003-2004 Z06s but the biggest turn off was the lack of parts for common failure areas like weather seals, ABS and electronics components, and OEM wheels.

I ultimately went with a 2011 Cayman 6MT base model (265hp/221tq). The car is good for ~5.4 0-60 and 13.8s@102mph. The car has more acceleration and shove than the ND2 Miata and way more audible/sensory drama, especially after I removed the intake cover/shield on the driver's side intake grill. The car feels and sounds way quicker than it really is which is fine by me. My Stage 2 M235 6MT suffices when I really want torque shove and silly acceleration.

Miatas aren't bad cars at all. Two friends have NB Miatas with basic Flyin Miata turbo kits, coil overs, wheels, and grippy tires as well. Those cars an absolute blast with those turbos. I have a soft spot for the NC and the 2.5 Ford I4 motor swap.

Last edited by XutvJet; 12-01-2022 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0