12-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #77
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
An LCI 328i. We had a number of N54 and N55 cars before it. It wasn't the motor. It was the steering, the suspension, the overall numbness and the over complication of getting the correct inputs at each startup to make it even remotely fun. If you just got in and drove it, it was a truly wretched car. If you got all the right button pushes, it was a little less wretched.

Generally when I sell any car, I wonder what I'll miss about it and if the replacement will be as good. When the F30 left, I knew I had nothing to worry about.
I drove several examples of the F30 when it first arrived in the US. I had one for a week as a loaner while BMW N.A. was trying to figure out the oil life monitor issue the E90 has. It was like in one fell swoop BMW forgot how to make a proper sports sedan. It was astonishing. Bad.

Worst was, with just a week in between, while the Hummer was in for warranty work, I had a Cadillac ATS for a week as a loaner after I had the F30. I figured out where the BMW DNA went; Cadillac found it and used it for the ATS.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-04-2022 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4465.00