05-04-2020, 07:24 PM   #57
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Why higher front pressure than rear? That's never been a BMW spec - always higher in the rear. Higher pressures reduce compliance and grip. The sharper handling felt from higher pressure comes at a cost and is often confused for grip (based on decades of observing the Internet ).

If you run the rears higher than the fronts you may dial out the remaining understeer (although slight understeer bias is almost certainly safer for a "dad car" not always driven with a high degree of focus.

Accident avoidance in the rain while out for groceries, for instance, would be better if you scrubbed a little rather than spun.
I am not running standard BMW size. Also NRF tires. And I do like to drift around corners. It's not fast but it is fun... People here cannot drive in the rain and crash often. I grew up outside Chicago driving on snow and ice so when it is wet here its time to have some fun.

Google "how to reduce understeer". I raised the back, stiffened the rear shocks and reduced tire pressure 2 psi. It helped make it more neutral.

Ways to Correct Understeer: ( go opposite to fix oversteer)
Raise front tire pressure
Lower rear tire pressure
Soften front shocks and stiffen bump
Stiffen rear shocks
Lower front end
Raise rear end
Install wider front tires
Install narrower rear tires
Soften front sway bar
Stiffen rear sway bar
Increase front negative camber
Increase positive caster
Soften front springs
Stiffen rear springs

Last edited by Luky; 05-04-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00